Mobility service – A market that has grown out from a rapid urbanization and climate relegation. In 2016 the mobility market was worth up to $54 billion in 2016 (Three core-region: China, America and Europe) . There are several trends within mobility service, but some of the biggest trends are; ridesharing and autonomous driving. Therefor ridesharing services like Über and Lyft received a lot of attention the last years and also are one of the biggest services within mobility service at the moment. Despite the hype around ridesharing, only 1 percent of all vehicle miles traveled (VMT) within the US came from ridesharing .
Initially, the price has been the biggest incentive for choosing ridesharing as a transporting option, but many customers don’t see it as a replacement for owning a car. Which neither carsharing seems to be, a market that many of the biggest automakers have entered, where BMW introduced their “DriveNow” service. One of the reasons why people don’t see these shared-mobility services as a substitute to owning a car is because there is still no good enough options for people who are frequently commuting. So shared-mobility solutions make the most sense for people traveling to social events in urban areas . But ride- and carsharing services have changed customers view of transporting the market has not reached it’s full potential yet. Which means there is still plenty of space for improvement, but you could say that mobility service market is still in its first phase. But also a market that is evolving in an exponential fashion. Which all the new innovative mobility service is a proof of.
But the fundamental idea about mobility service is how we can take us from A to B in the best and sustainable way, something that moovel are trying to achieve. With their app, you can simply book and pay for car2go, mytaxi and Deutsche Bahn. Which combines three different mobility service. An app that can work as a bridge until the shared-mobility service is developed to a point that it will become standard when traveling .
But if you look forward many are pointing on autonomous driving as the solution and this technology will rewrite business models for mobility. In 2015 the Swedish government launched a strategic innovation program called “Drive Sweden” with a vision to fulfill an automated transport systems include, essentially, all forms of transportation – private journeys, public transport and freight transportation. With expectations to erase the negative impacts on our society and the environment. And by implementing self-driving cars, there will be more space in the cities and self-driving cars are more environmentally friendly .
“Drive Sweden” also help different projects that will help to make autonomous driving a reality. One of these projects is “Drive Me”, a project founded by Volvo cars which will put people behind the wheels of a self-driven Volvo . Volvo has also initiated a project with Über for self-driving cars to make ridesharing even more effective and available. Even if the technology is not in place yet, this can be the solution for mobility.
- Anne Grosse-Ophoff, Saskia Hausler, Kersten Heineke, and Timo Möller. 2017. “How shared mobility will change the automotive industry“. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/how-shared-mobility-will-change-the-automotive-industry
- Russell Hensley, Asutosh Padhi, and Jeff Salazar. 2017. Retrieved from https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/cracks-in-the-ridesharing-market-and-how-to-fill-them
- Moovel Group. 2017. Retrieved from https://moovel-group.com/en
- Drive Sweden. Retrieved from https://www.drivesweden.net/en/about-drive-sweden
- Volvo Cars. 2016. Retrieved from https://www.volvocars.com/intl/about/our-innovation-brands/intellisafe/autonomous-driving/news/2016/a-new-approach-to-mobility